Friday, August 7, 2015

I Wake Up Dreaming Night 1



Following the TCM Summer of Darkness festival, I learned about a new (to me) noir fest I Wake Up Dreaming (perhaps a play on the noir title I Wake Up Screaming). Apparently this has been an annual festival since 1991; far longer than the better known Noir City. How the two festivals differ is the selected titles. I Wake Up Dreaming showcases a repertoire of obscure titles where as Noir City presents a selection of A list or a B+ list of films; particularly those that have gone through the restoration process. I Wake Up Dreaming is without all the pomp and circumstance of most film festivals. There are no vendors, no special introductions, no evening galas. Just good films. This year, the festival will run for 5 consecutive Thursdays. Night one was a packed house! Surprising considering it's a Thursday night. On the bill for the evening...



Ride the Pink Horse directed by and starring Robert Montgomery. It's the story of a disillusioned G.I. looking to seek retribution for his friend Shorty's death. Set in a small New Mexico town, the location provides a less conventional noir setting, yet it works for the "out of place" feeling so evident in many films noir; unfamiliarity, claustrophobic crowds, strange faces.

So Dark the Night was cast with unknown actors. At only 71 minutes, this had to be one of those B films that opened for the headliner. It follows the noir aspects in that we have another displaced individual who finds himself in unusual circumstances. A Parisian detective on a long overdue holiday falls in love with the innkeeper's daughter, who later turns up dead. The plot was somewhat predictable and I was not the least bit surprised by the outcome. In fact, I had it figured out before the first clue. Still, though, it had great technical aspects of the chiaroscuro lighting, the panning, the close-ups. Good little film. Until next week...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow! I'd never heard of this festival. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete